Saturday, December 1, 2007

The First Day of the Rest of My Life

Eww, I feel SO GROSS and DISGUSTING right now. Why do I always do this to myself? When I'm eating right and exercising, I feel great. All the endorphins are flowing, my skin is clear, my digestive process moves along smoothly, I'm happy and I'm in love with being alive. As soon as I give myself a little leeway, or fool myself into thinking I can eat like crap and not exercise for a few days and get back on track easily, I totally derail myself. I seriously send myself into a downward spiral of eating crap (and lots of it!) and being a lazy bum. That in itself is bad enough, but the worst part is the depression. I start to feel so down on myself and don't want to leave the house because I feel fat and feel like I look fat. Not a healthy place to be, but I'm sad to say that I'm there... AGAIN.

I was doing SO WELL, but Thanksgiving sent me off the deep end. I was doing the South Beach Diet because I am one of those people that gets addicted to sugar. Once I have sweet stuff, I crave more sweet stuff. If I give in to those cravings, I start craving not only sweet stuff, but junk food - and lots of it. It's really disappointing because I know this about myself, yet I have been sending myself into these episodes on a semi-regular basis lately. It's like an out of body experience - I can see it happening, but I can't do anything to stop it. At least now, I know what's happened and how to get out of the funk.

South Beach was working really well for me in that regard. I had broken my addiction to sugar, carbs, junk food, etc and wasn't really having a hard time time resisting foods that I shouldn't be eating. I lost 6 lbs the first week, then gained back 2 lbs in the following 2 weeks. I don't know what was up with that, but I should have just been happy that I had my eating under control. I probably should have added in some vigorous exercise to see how weight loss would go after that, but I let Thanksgiving get the best of me.

I LOVE Thanksgiving and I LOVE to cook - this resulted in a HUGE Thanksgiving feast with a horrendous amount of food (and, consequently, LEFTOVERS). We had a 14 lb turkey, ham, gravy, mashed potatoes, southern cornbread stuffing (yummy!), corn, green bean casserole, sweet potato casserole, cranberry sauce, rolls, pecan pie, crunch top apple pie and pumpkin pie. OMG, we only had 3 other people over for dinner (besides me and my husband), WHY DID WE NEED ALL THAT FOOD? It was insanely good, but we had those gluttonous leftovers for a week. Eating those pies and sweet potato casserole totally got be addicted to sugar again and I've been wallowing in this sugar addiction for far too long now (10 days!). My body is so sensitive to carbs that I think I've probably gained like 10 lbs in those 10 days. *sigh*

So this is my pact to myself, go grocery shopping tomorrow to stock up on the foods I know I should be eating and that will help me break this ugly addiction to sugar/carbs/junk again. Tomorrow I'm meeting up with my running partner to do a 6 mile run, so I think I'm ok on the exercise. I spent a lot of time today making up a meal plan, grocery list and exercise routine for the next week *patting myself on the back* and I think I'm golden to start this thing on Monday. I've attempted to lose this last 60+ lbs SO MANY TIMES and I'm tired of always being on a 'diet' and never reaching my goal weight. This time is it - I'm going to make it. No more crash diets, no more goofing around, this is it for real.

Hold me to it.

1 comment:

J said...

I believe in you!