Saturday, December 15, 2007

Losing Weight & the Holidays

So yeah, did I pick the worst time ever to start over with weight loss or what? This week was our company Christmas dinner at a really nice golf resort. They had prime rib, salmon, salad, roasted veggies, potatoes, appetizers of crackers, cheese, crudite and a huge array of sweets for dessert. Oh, did I mention the open bar? Goodness! I'm proud that I didn't go overboard with the food, I just had a normal sized portion of everything that I wanted to try. The one thing I promised myself was that if the food didn't taste GOOD, then don't eat it. Growing up in a low income family, we always had to clean our plates because we couldn't afford to let food go to waste. That is one of those habits that gets deeply ingrained in your psyche, but I am trying really hard to break it. Put everything, in reasonable portions, on your plate that you are interested in sampling. If you taste it and it doesn't taste really GOOD, then don't eat it. *gasp* Such a 'duh' thing for a normal person to do, but it was seriously a moment of epiphany to me when I thought of it. So last night I had food left on my appetizer plate and dessert plate (shocking!) that I didn't think was worthy enough to waste calories on. =) Yay me, it's the small victories that keep me going...

Didn't get much exercise in this week because life keeps getting in the way (2 jobs = 12+ hours of work a day!). I don't suspect I'll be able to get much exercise in this coming week and over my holiday vacation (into the heart of Mexico), except my marathon training. I will not slack on that because I don't want to deal with the consequences of slacking during the 13.1 mile race. Plus, running I can do anywhere and at anytime, so I can't really come up with a good excuse for not doing it while I'm away on vacation. Just bring a sports bra and my running shoes.

Next week is our Christmas cookie exchange, where I'm supposed to walk away with like 8 dozen different types of Christmas cookies. =O I'm going to sort of re-gift them to my office and my husband's office. I just want to show a little Christmas spirit by sharing homemade goodies with others during the holidays, but I wasn't about to make 8 dozen different types of Christmas cookies myself. We are also having our section Potluck lunch at work filled with lots of yummy food. I'm bringing 7 layer dip and chips - nothing diet about that, but I do love that dip. Hopefully there's left overs. =) Also, I'm supposed to be doing lunch with some friends as a farewell to 2007 since we won't be seeing each other again until 2008. Wow, I can't believe this year has flown by so quickly.

So, this will probably be one of my last posts until the new year. I think I'll do the cliche 'New Years Goals' as one of my first posts back. I don't say resolutions because then I feel like a total loser if I'm not able to accomplish everything on my list, but I can strive for reaching all my goals and feel happy that I tried my best even if I don't achieve all of the goals. Goals are something you strive for, resolutions are something that have to be done in a finite period or you've failed (too black and white for me). Word play that makes me feel less like a loser if I crash and burn during the year. LOL!

On one of my earlier posts, I had a nice trainer guy offer his services to help me lose weight. SWEET! Can we say psyched? I mean, I'm as paranoid as the next person about strangers, but I'm desperate ya'll (wow, the southerner in me snuck out)! I seriously want to get these last 50-60 lbs off this year. I'm looking forward to seeing what he suggests and seeing the results of his handiwork. Of course, I'll be keeping you guys posted on that and day dreaming about it while I'm gone for the holidays... in Mexico.... eating burritos and tamales with reckless abandon. Just kidding! While I'm earnestly scouring Mexico for the healthiest food I can get my hands on. =) I am going to try to bring some staples (like microwaveable oatmeal for breakfast) and then stick with the healthiest fruits, veggies and lean meats I can. Supposedly, there's a Super Wal-mart down there, so I should have no excuse (except that I love to try local cuisine when I'm traveling!). Oh, how did that excuse sneak in there? LOL.

Ok, off to do all my errands in preparation of our departure next week. I hope everyone has a super wonderful holidays and best wishes in the new year!! 2008 will be our year!

No comments: