Monday, January 21, 2008

Did I ever tell you?

That my husband is the epitome of the 'anti-dieter'? Seriously, if he even suspects something is healthy, he will instantly despise it. He doesn't like fruits and vegetables and would die happy if he could eat out every single meal of every single day. Anything I cook that is 'diet', he eats with what almost looks like a grimace. He eats what I put on the table most days, but he lets me know that he doesn't particularly like it. If he could eat burgers, pizza and burritos everyday - I'm sure he would. He also abhors exercise. I've asked him a million times to go to the gym with me, take a walk with me, etc and will always get an exasperated, 'Do I have to?' When asked if he wants to go on a walk, I usually get the blanket answer, 'I've done enough walking in my life.' He's 28. Why such disdain for a healthy lifestyle??

This makes my lfe difficult, especially when it comes to trying to lose weight. I meticulously plan out my meals and grocery lists to incorporate healthy stuff - whole wheat carbs, veggies, fruits, lean meats and water mostly - and I make up a tenative schedule for what workouts I'm doing on which days. All this tedious planning can be easily derailed by my husband not wanting to eat what I planned for dinner ('I don't want fish!'), not wanting to go to the gym with me (or even wanting me to go alone) or by him bringing junk food into the house. He doesn't even have to offer me the junk food, just the fact that I know it's in the house is going to make me want to eat it. I have very low will power against temptation, which is why my best bet is to stay as far away from the crappy stuff as I can. Do you see how this can be a problem? I can't be near bad stuff or I give in quickly to temptation, but my hubby brings it into the home and often encourages me to indulge. =\

*sigh* I can't blame my shortfalls on anyone though. I am in charge of what I put in my mouth. He's really a good guy and doesn't mean any malice, but he just doesn't realize how much his habits effect me. You can't make someone be healthy if they don't want to though. I just want him to eat well and exercise for his own health because diabetes runs in his family. I mean, we just started our life together and I'd like it to last as long as possible! *sigh again* I just wish we were on more of the same page about this.

I have to confess that I ate a really big iced sugar cookie tonight. Totally not in my meal plan, but it stopped me from overeating my dinner. Eh *shrug* you win some, you lose some.

1 comment:

J said...

burgers, pizza and burritos, huh? every day?

i can see why you like this guy. i know i do.